[YLUG] Testing name lookups

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Wed Sep 12 21:12:51 BST 2007

Roger Leigh <rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org> writes:

> Following some strange problems, which I believe are due to the
> glibc 2.6 name resolver, I want to test name lookups.
> Unfortunately, tools like host, nslookup and dig appear to only
> query the DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf, whereas I want to also
> query hosts.  Ideally, I want a tool which is nothing more than a
> lightweight wrapper around getipnodebyname(3) or gethostbyname(3).
> "getent hosts" appears to do this, but is not reflecting the
> behaviour I am seeing:
>
> % getent hosts localhost
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
> % getent hosts ip6-localhost
> ::1             ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
>
> My actual problem is this:
>
> % telnet ip6-localhost
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>        ^^^^^^^^^
>
> Where on earth did the IPv4 localhost address just appear from ?!
> This is making all programs configured to use ip6-localhost fail to
> connect.

Just to follow up with a resolution to this:

I ended up writing a small test program to identify the cause of this,

  http://people.debian.org/~rleigh/addrtest.c

This showed that IPv6 addresses were only available when the system
had a globally scoped IPv6 address, or else all addresses (even local
ones) were not returned.  The full detail is at

and

Sorry for the noise!

Roger

--