[YLUG] DSL

Zoe Stephenson zrs1 at york.ac.uk
Mon Sep 24 18:00:38 BST 2007

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 05:02:21PM +0100, Dr P Dupre wrote:
> I got a cable modem which looks like working fine, the led is on.
> Then, I should configure the network.
> Should I do is at an ethernet connection or a xDSL, or a Modem connection
> ?

I've never come across cable services before, so everything here is
from a very brief search online.

If your cable modem has an ethernet connection on it, then connect that
to the computer or your switch or hub.  It's probably of the kind that
connects directly to the computer with a standard cable, so you'll need
to connect it to a crossed ("uplink") port or a dual-use port on the
hub/switch.  Then just configure for DHCP from the modem.

If your cable modem doesn't have an ethernet connection on it, then
it'll likely use USB and you'll probably need to set up PPP as though
it were a modem connection.

> In the US, I used to say xDSL connection, but then I need a login
> name and a password which were provided by the provider B!! Vigin sent me
> a PIN and a Surname, does it have
> something to do together ?

Go to https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ and fill out your details there
perhaps?  This site is mentioned quite a lot on the forum posts I've
seen.

> Looking around, it looks that that I may have first to log as
> a "standard" ethernet connection and get an IP address with DHCP
> and then go a/the virgin web site for registrering, maybe 80.5.178.26 ?

Not sure exactly what order things go in, but the link may help.

--
 -- zoe