[YLUG] DSL

Gaffer. derrick_s at tesco.net
Mon Sep 24 19:54:20 BST 2007

Hi there,

On Monday 24 September 2007 17:02, Dr P Dupre inscribed thus:
> I got a cable modem which looks like working fine, the led is on.

Cable fed DSL is not common in the UK.  Did you get the modem from
Virgin?

> Then, I should configure the network.
> Should I do is at an ethernet connection or a xDSL, or a Modem
> connection ?
> In the US, I used to say xDSL connection, but then I need a login
> name and a password which were provided by the provider B!! Vigin
> sent me a PIN and a Surname, does it have
> something to do together ?

Normally you would place your user name and password into the modem
via its web interface or via the setup program that came with it.

> Looking around, it looks that that I may have first to log as
> a "standard" ethernet connection and get an IP address with DHCP
> and then go a/the virgin web site for registrering, maybe
> 80.5.178.26 ?
>
> thank for your help.

Unless the Virgin web site recognises your user name and password you
are not going to be able to talk to anybody via the internet.

--
Best Regards:
             Derrick.