[YLUG] DSL

Martin Rowe dbg400.net at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 23:44:15 BST 2007

On 24/09/2007, Dr P Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
> I got a cable modem which looks like working fine, the led is on.
> Then, I should configure the network.
> Should I do is at an ethernet connection or a xDSL, or a Modem connection
> ?
> In the US, I used to say xDSL connection, but then I need a login
> name and a password which were provided by the provider B!! Vigin sent me
> a PIN and a Surname, does it have
> something to do together ?
> Looking around, it looks that that I may have first to log as
> a "standard" ethernet connection and get an IP address with DHCP
> and then go a/the virgin web site for registrering, maybe 80.5.178.26 ?

This site covers is quite well - http://www.jlsnet.co.uk/index.php?page=cc_ntl

You mention having a cable modem, so I'm assuming you'll need to the following:
- Go to https://autoreg.autoregister.net/
- Click on Broadband for the service to register
- Click on Register
- Enter ntl-ct8-cj486 as the serial number (without the hyphens)
- The next page asks for your PIN & Surname from the Welcome letter
- After that you're prompted to choose a user name for email/web space

It can take a while (up to 15 minutes) for the connection to go live -
power cycle the cable modem if you've not got an outgoing connection
by that point.

I had to re-register last year when I moved from a set-top box to a
cable modem, and again this year when setting up my in-laws on Virgin
Media cable. Both my system and theirs are Linux boxes behind Linksys
router/firewall boxes, and work fine with VM. I ended up on the phone
to support both times, because I didn't have the serial number for a
cable modem connection last year, and my in-laws weren't given a PIN
in the welcome letter.

Unlike ADSL connections there is no username/password to enable the
connection. Once you have registered the connection will stay, as long
as the connecting MAC address stays the same. I switched from an old
486 running a Freesco firewall to the Linksys by cloning the MAC
address, and there was no need to re-register.

Regards, Martin
--
martin at dbg400.net  AIM/Gaim: DBG400dotNet  http://www.dbg400.net   /"\
DBG/400 - AS/400 & iSeries Open Source/Free Software utilities     \ /