[YLUG] Update fedora 10

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 15:38:59 UTC 2008

Well the OP did not say exactly how the X session hangs - does it not
start at all or does it start? Is it the boot graphic that does not
work (Plymouth)? or does it boot and give a login prompt?  Can you
boot to a VT and then issue the startx command to initiate the X
session? Does it begin to start the Xsession after entering the login
prompt?  Does the Xsession give anything at all to the screen. What is
in the log files after this happens.  Can you switch to a VT and check
the contents of the Xorg log files as root?

To diagnose this you need more information. Also with Plymouth on some
ATI cards having known problems does adding nomodeset to the kernel
line at boot make it work?

Mike

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 3:28 PM, john halewood <john.halewood at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/12/20 Patrick Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I made an update of Fedora 10 yesterday (new kernel, etc...)
>> and then the X session stocks. I have to restart the machine by switching
>> it off.
>> The graphic card is a Radeon 7000.
>> What should I do ?
>> Can I come back to the installation before the update ?
>>
>> rpm -Va gives a lot of messages.
>
> Use the rollback option, e.g. rpm -Uvh --rollback '1 day ago'.
> This will put everything back to where it was at the time specified,
> providing you haven't deleted the original source packages along the
> way (or the config files).
>
> cheers
> john

mike