[YLUG] Update fedora 10

Patrick Dupre pd520 at york.ac.uk
Sat Dec 20 15:53:49 UTC 2008

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, mike cloaked wrote:

> Well the OP did not say exactly how the X session hangs - does it not
> start at all or does it start? Is it the boot graphic that does not

I can start in text mode, then I do a startx. then it stocks.
I get a white page, and it froozes.
> work
(Plymouth)? or does it boot and give a login prompt?  Can you
> boot to a VT and then issue the startx command to initiate the X
> session? Does it begin to start the Xsession after entering the login
> prompt?  Does the Xsession give anything at all to the screen. What is
> in the log files after this happens.  Can you switch to a VT and check
> the contents of the Xorg log files as root?
>
> To diagnose this you need more information. Also with Plymouth on some
> ATI cards having known problems does adding nomodeset to the kernel
> line at boot make it work?
>
> Mike
>
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 3:28 PM, john halewood <john.halewood at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2008/12/20 Patrick Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk>:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I made an update of Fedora 10 yesterday (new kernel, etc...)
>>> and then the X session stocks. I have to restart the machine by switching
>>> it off.
>>> The graphic card is a Radeon 7000.
>>> What should I do ?
>>> Can I come back to the installation before the update ?
>>>
>>> rpm -Va gives a lot of messages.
>>
>> Use the rollback option, e.g. rpm -Uvh --rollback '1 day ago'.
>> This will put everything back to where it was at the time specified,
>> providing you haven't deleted the original source packages along the
>> way (or the config files).
>>
>> cheers
>> john

---
  Patrick DUPRÉ                      |   |
  Department of Chemistry            |   |    Phone: (44)-(0)-1904-434384
  The University of York             |   |    Fax:   (44)-(0)-1904-432516
  Heslington                         |   |
  York YO10 5DD  United Kingdom      |   |    email: pd520 at york.ac.uk