[YLUG] Update fedora 10

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 22:12:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 6:00 PM, Patrick Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, mike cloaked wrote:
>
>> Exactly how did you update from FC7?
>>
>> i.e. to be explicit - did you
>
> 2 weeks ago I did the update by running a yum upgrade
>
> 2 weeks ago IO updated from the DVD (anaconda): of course from the iso
> image.
>
> yesterday from yumex.

Well now I am confused...
So you did yum upgrade initially to change your version from FC7 to
F10 - I don't understand whether you mean you then did some kind of
upgrade to that from the DVD? Or did you do a new fresh install from
scratch. In addition I now don't know what you did with yumex. However
F10 is very very different to FC7 (and note that it is F10 and not
FC10 even though package names are tagged wit the .fc10 suffix for
special reasons because Fedora packages are now part of a unified
Fedora Collection, and not Fedora Core as it was at the time of FC7)

If you still have old versions of your configs lying around and did a
yum upgrade from version 7 to version 10 then you will almost
certainly get problems....I would strongly recommend that you do not
try to get that system working as the upgrade from 7 to 10 is too huge
a change.

I would strongly suggest that you start from scratch and do an install
from the DVD and make sure that you ask anaconda to format the root
partition during that install. If you have a wired connection during
the install then it will automatically configure a wired interface for
you and NetworkManager will use it.  You can install to the root ( / )
partition and leave your other partitions untouched, provided you ask
it to do a custom disk partition when you get to that section of the
install.  Always make a backup of all files ahead of this in case it
all goes wrong - this is standard advice.

Make sure that you read the release notes, and also the install guide for F10
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f10/
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/

The install guide will also give you information on other methods for
the install, including hard drive and http, plus nfs installs.

Once you have the install running, make sure you select your packages
and it will pull the necessary files from the DVD, and during the
firstboot you are asked to make a user area, and then log in to that
user area in gnome, then before you start configuring anything else
make sure you then do either:
yum -y update
or
use PackageKit which is now the default background process that runs
yum for you - and let that update your system.

Note that by default you are unable to login as root so make sure you
do create a non-root user during the install.

Then re-boot after the yum update as you will have a new kernel and
many other updated packages.

Only then can you start either retrieving old user files and setting
up the system as you wish. At this stage you should already have a
working X and be logged in to a desktop.

You can of course switch out of X to a VT if you wish to use a command
line only. However it is easier to open a set of terminal windows in
the desktop and work from there.

Also note that by default you will have SElinux enabled and enforcing.
 You should read about SElinux so that you can work with it.
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/selinux-user-guide/f10/en-US/

If you feel that SElinux is too much for you then you can switch it to
permissive.  Note that if you disable SElinux then getting it back can
be quite a pain! However leaving it permissive will allow you to work
but you will get SElinux warnings.