[YLUG] Update fedora 10

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 17:16:58 UTC 2008

Patrick Dupre wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Unfortunately, It just does not work !
> startx gives me the Fedora 10 background blue image, and the arrow, but
> not the shape moving around the arrow. It just frozes there and I have
> to reset manually from the switch.

I did not mention startx this time - it is not clear to me what state
your machine is in.  You still have not confirmed whether or not you
actually did a clean install!

Using nomodeset has nothing whatsoever to do with startx. You should be
going direct to X once the machine has booted. How are you getting to
the stage of being able to issue the startx command? Are you going to a
VT that is not in tty 1?  The other thing you may or may not know is
that tty 1 is the xorg VT now as it has moved from tty 7 that was
default in previous versions.

Unless I can fathom out what state your machine is in I will be unable
to offer any further advice.

You really need to send information on weather you did a standard
install and not an upgrade install.... and then if so whether you did
any changes to the xorg configuration before X stopped working.

Mike