[YLUG] Update fedora 10

Patrick Dupre pd520 at york.ac.uk
Sun Dec 21 18:12:58 UTC 2008

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008, Mike Cloaked wrote:

> Patrick Dupre wrote:
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> Unfortunately, It just does not work !
>> startx gives me the Fedora 10 background blue image, and the arrow, but
>> not the shape moving around the arrow. It just frozes there and I have
>> to reset manually from the switch.
>>

> I did not mention startx this time - it is not clear to me what state
> your machine is in.  You still have not confirmed whether or not you
> actually did a clean install!
Yes, I started another install on a clean Hard drive

> Using nomodeset has nothing whatsoever to do with startx. You should be
> going direct to X once the machine has booted.
NO, I always made the choice of never start the machine in X, what do you
do if the machine does not start the X environment.
So, the machine is started in text mode.
Then the use can log and start a X session.
  How are you getting to
> the stage of being able to issue the startx command? Are you going to a
> VT that is not in tty 1?
I use tty1, login and run startx
  The other thing you may or may not know is
> that tty 1 is the xorg VT now as it has moved from tty 7 that was
> default in previous versions.
>
> Unless I can fathom out what state your machine is in I will be unable
> to offer any further advice.
>
> You really need to send information on weather you did a standard
> install and not an upgrade install.... and then if so whether you did
> any changes to the xorg configuration before X stopped working.

Another thing, of course I installed from the DVD in graphique mode.
The install was OK, except at the very end, after installing the last
package, the froze and I had to finish the install for the grub
in text  mode (after rebooting). That is why I think that their is a
problem with the graphic driver. It freezes when finishing the install
and now freezes in startx.
It did not happen last week whith a previous install.

> Mike

---
  Patrick DUPRÉ                      |   |
  Department of Chemistry            |   |    Phone: (44)-(0)-1904-434384
  The University of York             |   |    Fax:   (44)-(0)-1904-432516
  Heslington                         |   |
  York YO10 5DD  United Kingdom      |   |    email: pd520 at york.ac.uk