[YLUG] Update fedora 10

Patrick Dupre pd520 at york.ac.uk
Sun Dec 21 20:18:17 UTC 2008

Hi Mike,

> A couple of points -
>
> 1) You mention you started X from tty 1 - this may be problematic in
> F10, and you should go to one of the other tty >1 but not 1 to startx.
I tried with tty 2 with the same failure.

> This is because previously tty7 was reserved for X and now it is tty1.
>
> 2) So now we understand that you did a clean install but that it had a
> problem towards the end of the install with X. I have installed F10 on
> 4 machines now and none had any problem going to X. Maybe I was just
> lucky that none of my graphics cards had the known kms problem.
> In fact if you do a graphical install the default at firstboot is to
> go direct into X and then allow only login for the non-root user in
> gnome.  If this is the case did you break in to the firstboot and
> prevent it from running? Or when the X crash happened did you then
> login as root to tty1 without X and try to force startx? This sounds
> like you never did get firstboot to run?  Please confirm.  If this is
> the case how did you create the non-root user(s)?
You are right, I guess that I did never run firstboot.
How I do it now ?
Right now, I only log in root, but I created manually an user
(editing passwd). The result of startx is similar.

I tried nomodeset several times and it fails the same way.

Thank for your help.

--
---
  Patrick DUPRÉ                      |   |
  York YO10 5DD  United Kingdom      |   |    email: pd520 at york.ac.uk