[YLUG] Update fedora 10

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 18:59:57 UTC 2008

OK Patrick

A couple of points -

1) You mention you started X from tty 1 - this may be problematic in
F10, and you should go to one of the other tty >1 but not 1 to startx.

This is because previously tty7 was reserved for X and now it is tty1.

2) So now we understand that you did a clean install but that it had a
problem towards the end of the install with X. I have installed F10 on
4 machines now and none had any problem going to X. Maybe I was just
lucky that none of my graphics cards had the known kms problem.
In fact if you do a graphical install the default at firstboot is to
go direct into X and then allow only login for the non-root user in
gnome.  If this is the case did you break in to the firstboot and
prevent it from running? Or when the X crash happened did you then
login as root to tty1 without X and try to force startx? This sounds
like you never did get firstboot to run?  Please confirm.  If this is
the case how did you create the non-root user(s)?

I still think that a possibility is that because there are some Radeon
cards that are known to have a problem with modesetting (and by this I
am talking about kernel modesetting which is a new feature in F10) you
may need to use the "nomodeset" parameter to the boot line to prevent
the system doing kernel modesetting during the boot.  This is not a
driver issue but is a new feature in the kernel that is known not to
be fully functioning with some graphics cards - and it may be that
yours is one of the cards that it does not play well with.  What
kernel modesetting does is to set the graphics parameters by probing
the card during boot.

I did not remember you saying that you have actually tried to turn off
modesetting during boot?  It is certainly worth trying that approach -
and if you can boot with that parameter even to a non-X tty you ought
to be able to startx from tty2 for example, but maybe that is only
possible if you do set nomodeset at boot.

See
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KernelModesetting
http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/What-s-new-in-Fedora-10--/features/112093

Also have a look at the section concerning Radeon cards at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F10_bugs

When you have tried turning off kernel modesetting then post again to
tell us whether this made any difference.

--
mike