[YLUG] Update fedora 10

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 21:41:58 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Patrick Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk> wrote:

>>> You are right, I guess that I did never run firstboot.
>>> How I do it now ?
>>
>> Well you may be able to change the parameters in the file
>> /etc/sysconfig/firstboot and reboot. (i.e. make it say YES and not NO)
>> - however see below as I believe you may have messed up your user area
>> so that a login screen may be either corrupt or impossible to load.
>>
>> i.e. I suspect that you have more problems than just not running
>> firstboot.
>
> When I run firstboot
> X configuration,
> the screen just freeze (similar like startx)
> How can I try to debug the xorg.conf ?
> What would be a xorg.conf file with the minimum things, ie. I would like
> to get a xorg.conf which may have a change to work in case that the
> one generated by X -configure is not correct.
> Is their any way to have a minium graphic mode like VGA. In the past it
> was possible.
> Regards

Try adding vga=0x318 to the kernel line at boot. This may give you a
basic graphic mode - this is documented in the links I sent you
earlier. Did you read them?

Did you revert your changes to /etc/passwd that I suggested?  If not I
expect that you will be unable to get your system going.
You should not have had any xorg.conf created by the install - if you
now have this file then you must have done something else to create
it!

So there is something else you have not told us about that generated
an xorg.conf file?  How did you create it?

I think that I may be reaching the point where I may be unable to
offer any useful further help to you.

--
mike