[YLUG] clone fedora 10

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 14:35:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Patrick Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the past (ie with fedora 7 and before), I was able to clone a
> machine by using cp -a. I did the same with fedora 10, but it looks like
> that it mess up the passwd file and the files related to.
> In fact the system starts like it should but I cannot login.
> How can I fix it ?

You will have a tough time doing that!  Particularly since "cp -a"
does not copy across security contexts so there will be all manner of
problems since SElinux will prevent you doing a great many normal
things.

I would suggest that you ask on the Fedora list if anyone can point
you to some information about cloning a machine - but in any event
cloning will lead to a situation where the other computer may have
different hardware - and then the boot process will fail unless you
re-run mkinitrd to create an initial ramdisk file for the new machine.

Good luck anyway - certainly that is not something I would try to do
and I would do it very differently.

--
mike