Talks (was: Re: [YLUG] A basic question)

Arthur Clune arthur at clune.org
Tue Jan 1 14:05:00 GMT 2008

On 28 Dec 2007, at 21:26, Steve Kemp wrote:

>  I guess now that Google allows you to point your MX records at
> their servers there is another option.  But that is slightly different
> from the SMTP-proxy idea; since they'd be hosting your mail, not just
> filtering it en route.

This is what I do for clune.org and some other domains I run.
Several people I know do the same for their domains - it  works
very well for your average 'vanity' domain. Deliver via google
and pull down via imap/pop.

Google even gives you the info to set SPF records if you
really want:

clune.org.		300	IN	TXT	"v=spf1 a:smtp.bytemark.co.uk
include:aspmx.googlemail.com include:york.ac.uk ~all"

It only really falls down if you want lots of users on your
domain (default is 50 I think, maybe 100).

You can just use Google as an en-route spam filter as well
if you want by bouncing the email through google/gmail
at some point on its journey

Arthur

--
By and large PHP seems to be making the same progression of mistakes
as early Perl did, only slower - Larry Wall