[YLUG] old machine?

Matthew Gates matthew at porpoisehead.net
Fri Jul 18 13:28:00 BST 2008

On Friday 18 July 2008, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Chris Hardy <chris at clh.org.uk> wrote:
> > if they're Dell OEM discs, they won't work on anything other than Dell
> > machines
> >
> > i tried to rebuild a fujitsu machine with one - told me where to stick
> > it. Ended up using a dodgey copy of XP, and then changed the serial
> > code to make it 'legit' again
>
> Just had a thought - I wonder if these CDs would install in VMware?
> (Not used VMWare so am green on that issue!)

I don't think so.   I seem to recall a while ago trying to install my
Dell "Recovery" CD in a VM, and it didn't work.

It might be inaccurate, but I thought that when a machine changes owner, the
Windows license does not transfer to the new owner - to be legal, you need
to buy a new copy of Windows anyway.