[YLUG] old machine?

Gaffer. derrick_s at tesco.net
Fri Jul 18 19:39:13 BST 2008

On Friday 18 July 2008 13:27, Matthew Gates wrote:
> On Friday 18 July 2008, mike cloaked wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Chris Hardy <chris at clh.org.uk>
wrote:
> > > if they're Dell OEM discs, they won't work on anything other
> > > than Dell machines

No they will only work on a Dell.  They are what are know as BIOS
Locked.  They look for the Dell Identifier in the BIOS chip

> > > i tried to rebuild a fujitsu machine with one - told me where
> > > to stick it. Ended up using a dodgey copy of XP, and then
> > > changed the serial code to make it 'legit' again

Same with most pre installed copies now a days.

> > Just had a thought - I wonder if these CDs would install in
> > VMware? (Not used VMWare so am green on that issue!)
>
> I don't think so.   I seem to recall a while ago trying to install
> my Dell "Recovery" CD in a VM, and it didn't work.

Again same reason as above.

> It might be inaccurate, but I thought that when a machine changes
> owner, the Windows license does not transfer to the new owner - to
> be legal, you need to buy a new copy of Windows anyway.

No the new owner of the machine becomes the licensee as long as the
O/S copy is not installed on a second machine or moved to a second
machine.  In any case if there is no COA stuck to the machine then
AFAIK it does not have a legal copy of wins.

The only other way I can think of is a retail or upgrade version which
would still have a COA for a previous version.

--
Best Regards:
             Derrick.