[YLUG] old machine?

Matthew Gates matthew at porpoisehead.net
Fri Jul 18 20:42:36 BST 2008

On Friday 18 July 2008, Alex Howells wrote:
> 2008/7/17 Matthew Gates <matthew at porpoisehead.net>:
> > If anyone knows of and half usable machines which are heading for a
> > skip, I'd like to know about it.
>
> If you don't mind a bit of graft to test out bits of hardware, I
> suspect Bytemark have you covered ;)
>
> Have got plenty of stuff on the shelf which might suit, average
> specification is probably a Celeron 2.4GHz with 512MB - 1GB RAM ..
> about the only thing we can't provide you would be hard drives and the
> cases probably aren't suitable -- they are mostly 1U half-depth
> rackmount cases.  Free to a good home, provided you can wait a couple
> of weeks.

The purpose is to get a family member set up with a basic machine for home
use, so I don't think they're suitable - I have no case for them.

Thanks for the kind offer though - we should have a think at the next social
and see if we can think of something to do with them.  :-)   The idea of
any computers sitting idle makes me squirm...

Matthew