[YLUG] YLUG social reminder

Matthew Gates matthew at porpoisehead.net
Mon Jul 28 16:18:44 BST 2008

On Monday 28 July 2008, Alex Howells wrote:
> 2008/7/27 Matthew Gates <matthew at porpoisehead.net>:
> > Reminder for the social, Monday 28th July 2008.  I assume in the
> > Yorkshire Terrier at 7:30.  Bring your GPG signing wotnots!
>
> Remind me what we need to get stuff signed again?  My name *is* Alex
> Howells, I pwomise ;)
>
> My usual terms for signing keys are:
>
>   -> If we're going to make this as little faff as possible, people
> should be prepared to respond to e-mail challenges within 72 hours and
> thus anyone new to GPG should test they can sign/encrypt mail before
> turning up on Monday night ;)  Your key should be published to a
> well-known keyserver like subkeys.pgp.net in *ADVANCE*.

I made a new key today which includes the ids for the 3 email addresses I
use, uses a decent key size, has an expiry date, and for which I have made
a revocation certificate.

I uploaded to www.keys.eu.pgp.net  - is that a "well known" server?  It was
on the list of servers build into kgpg, that's why I chose it, but I don't
know if it's a good one or not.

>   -> You must have taken steps to ensure you can revoke your key,
>        if and when required, for example if your computer is compromised.
>        A lot of guides to GPG key generation state this is optional, but
> I'd ask nicely that if you do *not* have a revocation certificate, you
> tell me.
>        I won't sign your key if that's the case, sorry.
>
>   -> If you're the type of person who loses USB sticks with your key on
> and doesn't revoke them, tell me in advance so I can refuse politely.
> This means before there is cider in me, or it may be less polite :P
>
>   -> Must have at least two forms of identification, one must be
> government issued and contain a photograph which looks vaguely like you.
> I'll trust you more if both forms are photographic and govt. issued.
> Maximum brownie points for a driving license and passport ;)
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong but you'll need all of the following:
>
>   * Key ID
>   * Key Fingerprint
>   * Key Type
>   * Key Length
>   * E-mail Address
>   * Pen and/or Pencil
>   * Notebook, Paper, etc

The python script output doesn't include the length and the type.  i don't
think it's that importrant, although I write it on my printout in case
anyone is desperate to know.

> About the only thing you should not bring/use for the purposes of
> key-signing on the night:
>
>   * Laptop, notebook, sub-notebook, PDA, smartphone. Anything
> involving doing it on the night. :)
>
> Apologies if I'm re-iterating stuff already stated, but these
> key-signing affairs can be a right pain in the arse so it's better to
> "measure twice, cut once".
>
> See you tomorrow.

See you later.