[YLUG] Next social and other stuff

Liam Wilson liam.wilson at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 22:39:19 BST 2008

> > Hi
> >
> > Just a couple of things:
> >
> > Next social is Monday the 30th in the Yorkshire
> Terrier.
> >
> > At the last social there was a definite interest in
> doing an OSM
> > mapping meet. I'm probably off along to the Leeds
> one this weekend
> >
> (http://list.wylug.org.uk/pipermail/wylug-announce/2008-June/000542.html)
> > to get an idea how they work it, and then I'll
> report back to this
> > list.
>
> How did you get on in Leeds?  Hope you had a pleasant an
> informative
> time and that you didn't get blown away!

It went pretty well. I think a few people were put off by
the wind, but there was still about 7 of us that turned up.

I didn't have a gps so I tagged along with someone who had
brought along a n800 and a bluetooth gps unit. It
was a handy looking setup. It had some mapping software
that I've forgotten the name of, and a handy little webcam
to take pictures of street names with.

After about 2 and a half hours of mapping we all headed down
to the Scarbrough Hotel for some beer/food and to upload
some of the data.

Apart from learing about how handy n800s are for mapping, I
also learnt about NPE maps. These are copyright expired maps
that you can trace using josm. I'll probably give that a go
before the next social (I'm not sure how useful those maps
will be considering they are from 1947, but it'll give me a
chance to try and get my head around josm).

> >       When would be a good date for people? I was
> thinking maybe
> > Sunday the 13th, then we could roll the social into
> the same event.
>
> I'll not be able to join you on the 13th July as this
> seems to have been
> the date chosen for numerous events I'm supposed to
> attend.  I'll be
> getting no family brownie points if I disappear to be all
> geeky.

That's one vote aginst thet 13th then. Is this date a
problem for anyone else that might be interested?

> > Al also mentioned a key-signing party. Maybe roll that
> into the 13th
> > too?
>
> If there's interest in a joint key signing party then
> I'd suggest an
> ordinary evening meeting.  After the 30th June, would I be
> right that
> the 14th and 28th July are going to be meeting dates?  I
> think one of
> those might suit well.

I was thinking that if we do a mapping party on the 13th,
we may as well do what wylug did and hold the social the
same night. Maybe make the keysigning thing the 28th (that'd
give me at least a month to figure out how you actually
sign emails. I assume it would be a pain with webmail?).

Liam