[YLUG] D-link

Phil Jordan lists at philjordan.eu
Sun Mar 9 20:50:45 GMT 2008

Alex Howells wrote:
>> Couldn't one just upgrade FC7 then yoink the FC6 kernel and modules back
>>  over?
>
> That leaves you on a very unsupported combination, not to mention the
> security issues -- you'd be screwed for security upgrades when new
> local/remote DoS or root exploits come out :)

Yep. And that's if you even manage to get over the package version
conflicts that will almost certainly arise. Installing a newer kernel
than stock will sometimes work, an older one rarely does.

> I'm sorry to say it, but the best method to "fix" this is to backup
> the data, reinstall the system using a *current* version of Fedora [or
> another distribution] and if you really need that many partitions, use
> LVM2.

Agreed. If there's some super-compelling reason not to use LVM2 (I can't
think of one) then just split the partitions over two physical drives.

~phil