[YLUG] Dumb question?

Rob Hall rob at waylock.co.uk
Sun May 18 20:26:30 BST 2008

Hiya,

This is going to sound really lame as I can do this task using Windows
in my sleep!

I want to allow my family to use my computer and I want to give them a
customised desktop and limited menu. Is there any way of doing this on a
group basis - i.e. if I created accounts for each of my children and
added them to a group called 'kids' their desktop and menu would be
fixed and if I did the same for my wife and added her to a group called
'betterhalf', her desktop would be another way.

I know that I can go in and manually edit their menus but I really don't
want to have to do this for all of them individually and it does open me
up to the wider question of how to administer groups under Linux so I'm
keen to learn.

Making sense? I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 for what it's worth.

Ta

Rob Hall