[YLUG] compatibility of Gnome and KDE

Anthony Edwards anthony at yoyo.org
Sat Nov 8 22:42:25 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 09:48:36PM +0000, nigel white wrote:
> Thank you for these helpful comments.
>
> As there is an overhead issue, and as I'm not over-impressed with
> Krusader, what native Gnome FTP program would you recommend?

In general, I don't recommend FTP at all for file transfer if it can
be avoided, an SSH-based file transfer method is preferable from a
security perspective.  When carrying out FTP-based file transfers,
everything is sent (including your username and password!) "in the
clear", i.e. unecrypted.  This is a particular issue if the client
side of the data transfer is on an untrusted public network, an
Internet Cafe or public access point wireless LAN for instance.

> Just basic FTP, with a split screen, would be fine, but I could do with
> extra features such as -
>
> - the ability to memorise base directory pairings on the domestic and
> remote machines, for a variety of FTP sites.
> - the ability to use PUT and GET buttons which will place the file in
> the correct destination folder, mirroring the source
> - the ability to remember passwords

I personally carry out all file transfers (SCP or SFTP most often,
although I do still remember FTP commands from days gone by!) at the
command line.  Initially, doing so might seem daunting but, once used
to a command line file transfer method, it becomes much faster and
more intuitive.

A default Ubuntu installation has command line SCP, SFTP & FTP clients
pre-installed.  You can learn more about them from their manual pages,
invoked by man <program name>, e.g. man ftp.

However, if I were to use a graphical file transfer program, I would
use the functionality included in Nautilus, the default GNOME file
management program.

Places --> Connect to Server.. to get started, the rest is fairly
straighforward.

--
Anthony Edwards
anthony at yoyo.org