[YLUG] Possible Project

Alex Howells alex.howells at 0wn3d.us
Tue Nov 18 18:54:46 UTC 2008

2008/11/18 Peter Hawkins (Home) <peter.hawkins at poppleton.org>:
> I wonder if anyone on this list would have the necessary skills to design a
> swipe card reader system to facilitate a membership scheme.

Sounds like you just want something like:

    *  database of members, which can be queried by your tills
    *  cards with a unique identifier, associated to a member

If someone loses the card you just give them a new one, thus canceling
the old one. The trickier part without further information is to guess
how to tie this into an existing EPOS system ;)

> It would also be good if the system could 'write' the necessary information
> to the card in the first place to create a unique identity for the member
> but I believe it is possible to buy stand-alone machines which do this.

Better to not store any unnecessary information on a magnetic strip, IMO :)

> If anyone would be interested in this project, I would be happy to discuss
> details off list.

Are you after a developer to implement it? Are you trying to get this
going as a F/OSS project? What's the end goal?

Alex