[YLUG] Network Issues

Martin Rowe dbg400.net at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 09:42:38 UTC 2008

2008/11/18  <ac628 at york.ac.uk>:
> Hi, I've reccently bought an 'acer aspire one' notbook, and been told that
> it can't talk to the York network due to the version of Linux it comes
> with. The people at the computer service told me to talk to you about
> installing another version. This is pretty urgent, so I'd appreciate it if
> you'd contact me as soon as possible. Thanks.

I used https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L for putting
Ubuntu Intrepid on my AA1. The only particular issue was with the
stock Intrepid kernel not supporting the ath5k wireless module (caused
some machines to have problems so support was temporarily dropped - it
works fine on the AA1 however). Installing
linux-backports-modules-intrepid got it going okay. I'm not at York so
don't know if it plays well with their network, but I've had no issues
on several home setups and at work.

Installing more RAM is much more entertaining though, as you have to
pretty much disassemble the laptop to get to the underside of the
motherboard. Quite why Acer couldn't have put in an access cover is
beyond me.

Regards, Martin
--
martin at dbg400.net  http://www.dbg400.net
AS/400 | iSeries | System i Open Source/Free Software