[YLUG] lvm

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Sun Nov 23 22:54:37 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:29:02PM +0000, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed a new disk and I copied my partitions on logical partitions
> except the /
> In the fstab, I change to:
> /dev/VG1/usr	/usr
>
> but I get an error message due to the fsck:
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
>     e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Check it's all set up with pv/lv/vg scan/display, and check you can
mount it by hand.

Is the fstab correct?  Can you "mount /usr" by hand?

I have everything except /boot on LVM (and MD raid), and it boots fine
(Debian).  The initramfs should already have the modules within it,
but it shouldn't matter even if you don't--you can mount / and then
the boot sequence should set up LVM before it tries to mount.  You
can update the initramfs config to force inclusion of the LVM/device-
mapper modules, but this really shouldn't be needed.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh