[YLUG] Linux wireless internet question (on campus)

Liam Wilson liam.wilson at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 15:09:13 UTC 2008

--- On Wed, 24/9/08, Nick Thomas <nick at lupine.me.uk> wrote:
> js230 at york.ac.uk wrote:
> > Thanks Liam. I have looked at the suggested
> instructions and though they
> > seem tricky I think I may be able to sort this out.
> However, it looks like
> > I have to install Ubuntu on a second pc in order to
> install it on the Asus.
> > Does this sound right? I'd rather not interfere
> with the my other laptop as
> > that works fine as it is. The instructions for
> installing straight from the
> > network seem too complicated.
> >
> > What do you think?

You need to create a live usb stick of Ubuntu, it covers
how you do that on the link I posted.

It might be worth elaborating on what problems you are having
connecting to eduroam (error messages etc). I'm sure other
people on this list will be able to diagnose the problem (I'm
a bit clueless on setting up wifi in general).

> I have an SD card with debian-eee already installed and
> ready to go, if
> you want it. Debian Is Not Ubuntu, of course, but it works.

Not sure if that'd work with his Aspire One. There is
http://onelinux.org which is a tweaked version of Ubuntu for
the Aspire One.

Liam