[YLUG] Installfest stuffs

Zoe Stephenson zrs1 at york.ac.uk
Sun Sep 28 14:03:01 UTC 2008

Hi gang,
  Some more stuff on Installfest, apologies for length:

Room - still unable to book rooms beyond the 13th of October; as
soon as I've managed to arrange something I'll let you all know here.

Publicity - I've drafted a poster, low-res PNG online at:
  http://www.daeghnao.com/temporary/mainposter.png

  I will fill in details as soon as I have them and make versions
  ready for printing.

Website - we're in the queue to get login to the new hosting, am
  about to prod to make sure we'll be able to get something up in
  good time.

Accommodation - I probably have room to squeeze one more person in
  here for the weekend.

Distro - I propose that we standardise on Ubuntu 8.04 as the default
  to install.  If people prefer to install something different, that's
  just fine, as long as it's nice and free.

Jobs - OK, there are a number of things to organise, and this year
  I'm going to try to delegate stuff so that I'm not as swamped.  So,
  with that in mind, I've devised some roles to fill:

  Equipment: Harry Mills has volounteered to manage all the equipment.
  If you're intending on bringing something - power, networking, laptop,
  cool new ubertoy, whatever - or if there's something you really want
  to have available, then let Harry know at hm539 at student.cs.york.ac.uk

  Install media:  Due to some administrative oversight, we don't have a
  bulk order of free 8.04 CDs coming in.  If people have spare ones
  that they've already burned, that would be excellent.  We ought to
  have CD media and burners on the day.  Martin has agreed to
  coordinate things for us to make sure we don't end up with a stack of
  200 coasters - email redgore at gmail.com with offers and queries.

  Publicity: I'd like someone to coordinate distribution so that we
  don't duplicate effort and annoy people with posters.  Places I've
  found amenable in the past:

    Central library
    York St. John Uni
    University of York S.U.
    Alligator, Country Fresh events boards
    City Screen Basement

  I'm happy to drop off the required materials at the S.U. office
  for distribution.

  Entertainment: I have a notion that we could put together a games
  tournament on the big screen, as long as it's something fun and
  accessible.  SuperTuxKart looks neat, as long as we've got it set up
  and known to work in advance, so maybe someone could look at making
  that work.  I'd like a volounteer to centrally coordinate ideas for
  other interesting things on the day.  I have a machine with a load of
  weird OSs installed in various hosted and virtualised ways, which may
  be fun to prod.

  Hospitality: It is traditional to bring cake, and I plan to bake a
  couple of bits and pieces, but I'd really like someone to centrally
  manage ID tags, labels, black sacks, plates and cutlery, bottles of
  water, all that kind of thing.  It's not a big task - you'll also
  need to send people off to wherever is open nearby for a couple of
  shifts of lunch.  I've got a badge template that I put together for
  last year, which I'll dig out if prodded enough.

I think that's it for now.  If we distribute the workload well, it
should be a breeze for everyone.  Email me or catch me online with
offers to take on jobs and queries of whatever kind.

--
 -- zoe