[YLUG] PERL5LIB

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Mon Aug 3 19:11:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 02:36:44PM +0100, Patrick Dupre wrote:

> I wanted to modify PERL5LIB variable (which is easy) and then
> I wanted to it exported when running a new gnome-terminal, but it
> appears that ever gnome-terminal reset PERL5LIB to the
> original value probably resulting from profile.d/atrpms.sh
>
> How can I control a lot better the  PERL5LIB environment variable ?

As you would for any environment variable, make sure it's exported
into the environment in your shell's configuration file.  You haven't
told us what your shell is, so you should read the documentation for
your shell.  As an example, my zsh configuration is in ~/.zshrc,
which includes lines such as

  export DEBEMAIL="Roger Leigh <rleigh at debian.org>"

bash uses ~/.profile ~/.bashrc and ~/.bash_profile, and you can use
similar syntax in them (see the documentation for which one to
alter).

If you want to modify it system wide, you can set it up with PAM
(see /etc/security/pam_env.conf and possibly also /etc/environment)
using pam_env.so in /etc/pam.d/).  Probably set up automatically by
your distribution.

Regards,
Roger

--