[YLUG] Linux & eeeeeeeees

Stephen Patterson steve at patter.me.uk
Fri Aug 14 10:13:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, August 13, 2009 3:16 pm, David Matthews wrote:
> I've a 701 that I've just put jaunty on, having tried several other
> distros.
>
> Everything just works - its spooky! And disclaimer - I'm not generally a
> ubuntu person.
>
> Suggest:-
> get rid of all the gnome stuff - wicd for network
> use xdm and a cut down xfce4 (just load the window  manager and panel)
> single ext2 partition, no swap
> edit /etc/fstab to mount / noatime
> this is worth having - http://greg.geekmind.org/eee-control/

I'll have a look at doing it that way, I've installed Debian Eee, which
gives a full gnome desktop though I've switched from evolution to claws
and found a very handy extension for firefox - FullerScreen. It removes
everything in full-screen mode so you only have the page & scollbars.

wicd sounds good, think I'll swap out gnome & network manager to replace
with xfce.

--
Stephen Patterson :: steve at patter.me.uk :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: patter at jabber.earth.li
"Don't be silly, Minnie. Who'd be walking round these cliffs with a gas
oven?"