[YLUG] VPN

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 18:25:40 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 1:55 PM,  <pd520 at york.ac.uk> wrote:

> Now, my pptp woks using the old method (pptpconfig), but I cannot make it
> work by using Network Manager ! With Network Manager, I try to configure
> the VPN with the same parameters, however, I cannot set the option: client
> LAN as I can do with pptpconfig (I do not set any routing). On the other
> side, I do not know how to set up the IPV4 setting, Automatic (VPN) ? The
> ppp0 connection never show up (I keep never for the VPN Network
> connection).

When you set up a vpn connection you need to know what you want from
the connection. Only then can you configure it so that it will do what
you want.
I presume that you simply want your connection to establish itself so
that your machine looks like it is connected within the university
system, and that you do not need complex split routing arrangements or
split dns - in order to achieve different configurations you need to
know a reasonable amount about networking.

However a few things to check are;
1) You will need to make sure that in the Security and Compression
section you must have Use Point-to-Point Encryption (MPPE) selected
otherwise the vpn won't work.
2) Everything else on that same page in the setup should be checked
enabled except Send ppp echo packets which should not be checked.
3) Make sure that the gateway is properly defined on the first setup
page as 144.32.196.175
4) Under the ipv4 settings make sure that the search box contains
york.ac.uk and leave Automatic (vpn) addresses only
5) In the routes section check to Ignore Automatically obtained routes
and add a new line for address 144.32.0.0 with netmask 255.255.0.0

That is what works for me - you will have to check the rest of your
settings yourself.

--
mike