[YLUG] Installing linux (Fedora 10) on a Samsung NC10 - a nice success

Gaffer. derrick_s at tesco.net
Sun Jan 18 13:09:09 UTC 2009

Good Afternoon Mike,

<mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If anyone is looking to find a netbook with a relatively
> > straightforward install for linux and where everything works out of
> > the box, I can relate a recent experience with the Samsung NC10
> > netbook.
>
> One additional point I should make is that during the main install
> for Fedora, I elected to use "custom disk partitioning" and not the
> default which I think would simply overwrite the existing partitions,
> potentially destroying the XP partition, and possibly the recovery
> partition also!
> So I chose to use the pre-made root partition, and format it,
> mounting it as /, and similarly chose to format the /opt partition
> and have it mounted as /opt, and leave the swap partition as created.
>
> The linux partitions I had made by creating an extended logical
> partition in the free space left after shrinking the partition
> containing the d: drive area, and then created the two ext3 and one
> swap partition within the extended partition in order not to exceed
> the limitations on the number of primary partitions when I used
> Parted Magic before the main install.  I did not create LVMs although
> some people may prefer that route. Since I am happy that I will not
> need to change the partitions once the install has been done I prefer
> to avoid some of the pitfalls of using LVMs even though the facility
> to change the size of LVMs on the fly may be useful in some
> circumstances.
>
> Anyone contemplating this partitioning process needs to do it
> carefully to avoid loss of data....  and really you should back up
> your existing systems before tinkering with disk partitioning since
> it can eat your system if everything does not go according to plan.
> Anyone doing disk partitioning for the first time might be advised to
> get help from an experienced hacker to reduce the chance of real
> problems...

An interesting post !  Certainly a very encouraging one for anyone
contemplating going down this route.

I bought my wife an "Acer Aspire One" for Christmas and when I can prise
it out of her grasp I'm contemplating doing something similar !
Particularly after my successful install of "Fedora 10" on my Dell
Insperon 1300 Laptop and your kind help in getting "KDE Desktop"
installed and working.

--
Best Regards:
             Derrick.