[YLUG] Installing linux (Fedora 10) on a Samsung NC10 - a nice success

Gaffer. derrick_s at tesco.net
Sun Jan 18 19:23:39 UTC 2009

Hello Mike,

On Sunday 18 January 2009 16:28, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Gaffer. <derrick_s at tesco.net> wrote:
> > Good Afternoon Mike,
> >
> > On Sunday 18 January 2009 11:58, mike cloaked wrote:

> snip
>
> > An interesting post !  Certainly a very encouraging one for anyone
> > contemplating going down this route.
> >
> > I bought my wife an "Acer Aspire One" for Christmas and when I can
> > prise it out of her grasp I'm contemplating doing something similar
> > ! Particularly after my successful install of "Fedora 10" on my
> > Dell Insperon 1300 Laptop and your kind help in getting "KDE
> > Desktop" installed and working.
>
> Good luck with the Acer netbook install - it would be nice if you
> might summarise the details once you have tried that. It would be
> interesting to compare notes.

Yes I will do that !   I need to get my sticky mitts on it first.   :-)

> Certainly on mine the challenge was to install without resorting to
> an optical drive. I know that you can get usb external CD/DVD drives
> but I wanted to see if it was possible via the usbkey route - and it
> turned out that this was indeed possible and without too much
> difficulty.

It seems that you can press "F2" during boot and choose the boot device.
One of the options is "ODD" what ever that is !  but USB floppy and
CD/DVD rom is there.

> The nice thing is that the netbook is now dual boot, and
> unfortunately for some things (eg phone syncing, updating gps units
> and similar it does need reverting to using Windows at present... at
> least until the same level of functionality is made to work in Linux
> (I know there is kitchensync and similar but for many phones it
> simply won't work!)

The Acer machine is "Linpus Linux" !   The wife loves it !  All icons.
A brilliant interface for youngsters and newbies, but very very
limiting for a more computer savvy person.  Apart from the internet
there is no obvious way to update or add and remove software.

Additionally I found that in order to get into "Acer's" web site, you
have to register with your details and the details of the machine
including its serial No:  I'm not overly keen on that !  Particularly
as various items produce "Usage, Upgrade" and "Buy Now" pop up's.

This gives the impression that you have to spend money in order to
continue to use the machine.  Quite naughty of Acer in my opinion.

> Looking forward to seeing the next 'install'ment (forgive the pun!)

Nice one !

--
Best Regards:
             Derrick.