[YLUG] Installing linux (Fedora 10) on a Samsung NC10 - a nice success

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 16:28:35 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Gaffer. <derrick_s at tesco.net> wrote:
> Good Afternoon Mike,
>
> On Sunday 18 January 2009 11:58, mike cloaked wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 11:46 AM, mike cloaked
> <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > If anyone is looking to find a netbook with a relatively
>> > straightforward install for linux and where everything works out of
>> > the box, I can relate a recent experience with the Samsung NC10
>> > netbook.
snip
> An interesting post !  Certainly a very encouraging one for anyone
> contemplating going down this route.
>
> I bought my wife an "Acer Aspire One" for Christmas and when I can prise
> it out of her grasp I'm contemplating doing something similar !
> Particularly after my successful install of "Fedora 10" on my Dell
> Insperon 1300 Laptop and your kind help in getting "KDE Desktop"
> installed and working.

Good luck with the Acer netbook install - it would be nice if you
might summarise the details once you have tried that. It would be
interesting to compare notes.

Certainly on mine the challenge was to install without resorting to an
optical drive. I know that you can get usb external CD/DVD drives but
I wanted to see if it was possible via the usbkey route - and it
turned out that this was indeed possible and without too much
difficulty.  The nice thing is that the netbook is now dual boot, and
unfortunately for some things (eg phone syncing, updating gps units
and similar it does need reverting to using Windows at present... at
least until the same level of functionality is made to work in Linux
(I know there is kitchensync and similar but for many phones it simply
won't work!)

Looking forward to seeing the next 'install'ment (forgive the pun!)

--
mike