[YLUG] fedora 10 login

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 21:08:36 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Patrick Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk> wrote:

> Because a bug in fedora, the rpmdb does not like blocksize of 1024 !!

Did you get the Fedora installer to format the root partition during
the install?  If not then you should have done, and then the blocksize
would have been set appropriately and you would not have had the
problem at all!

If you followed the standard way of installing I really do believe
that you would not have come across the problems you are currently
facing.  It appears that you do a very non-standard way of installing
and using partitions from reading some of your previous posts to the
lists.  When was the partition that holds your system formatted? Did
you try to copy a disk containing a running system to a different
computer?

I think that if I were in your position I would re-install and let the
installer do the formatting of the root partition - in addition I
would, if the other partitions you are using were created a long time
ago, also get them formatted during install - and copy all the files
back afterwards from a backup you make before even starting the
install.

I seem to remember you have a large number of partitions, and a rather
limited amount of disk space?  If so it would be a good idea to spend
a bit of effort to get a larger disk, and then make a backup of your
files onto an independent disk, including any setup files in /etc /var
and /root as well as your user files - rsync is your friend here.
Then put in a new HD and if you like use one of the liveCD linux
distros such as Knoppix or PartedMagic to partition the disk as you
want it, and create the appropriate files systems on the partitions
(ext3 for / /opt and /boot if you use it, and swap or vfat for others
as necessary. Then run a fresh F10 install to it and ensure that you
choose "custom" disk partitioning when you reach that point in the
install, so that you can preserve the partitioning you did prior to
install, but asking the installer to format the root partition as
ext3. Or you can do the partitioning as part of the install itself by
selecting custom partitioning without having pre-partitioned the
drive.

This will take time but you are more than likely to save time overall
by not having the kind of awkward disk issues you currently appear to
have.

Often it is very important that you give a full history of how you
have arrived at the current problems and not post just the description
of the present problem - on this list as well as the Fedora list you
need to state clearly what you did in the run-up to the problem you
are seeing otherwise you end up trying to fix things that really
should not have been broken in the first place.

When I install Fedora I "always" ask the installer to format the /
partition - it makes sense.  At least you are then starting with a
clean partition and know there will not be any old files lying around
on it that may cause conflicts with the new system.

Anyway I hope this helps.

--
mike