[YLUG] NetworkManager pptp vpn and routes?

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 14:49:04 UTC 2009

I have been running Fedora F11 after installing a week or two back on
a Samsung NC10 netbook that had previously been running F10 perfectly
successfully.  Previously I had been able to make a vpn connection to
the York University vpn in F10, working nicely with the main route out
for traffic being my normal default route from home, but specifically
for university based machines, such as my own desktop, to add a route
into the university through the vpn tunnel. i.e. it was a form of
split routing.  (I also have split dns but that is independent of the
routes issue)

Although I have a nice solid connection for the vpn itself in F11
using a pptp vpn defined by right clicking the NetworkManager icon in
Gnome in F11, I have tried all manner of different routes options and
cannot get it to send any packets through the vpn to my desktop in my
office! In order to get this far I had to install NetworkManager-pptp
and pptp packages which is the same as was needed for F10.

Because I did not save any copies of the output of "route -n" or "ip
ro sho" previously under F10 (nor the contents of /etc/resolv.conf)
when it was working, I can't compare the current routing information
with what I had previously.

If anyone can help by replying with the output of the "route -n"
command when they have a vpn connection doing split routing as
described above ( for any linux distro but hopefully for F11) then it
would be very useful for me. Then I can try to fiddle with the
settings for the routes so that I can try and re-produce the routes
list. I basically got NM to leave the original default route, then
tried to get it to add a route to 144.32.0.0 with netmask 255.255.0.0
but I can't get packets across the tunnel (in my case via ppp0). By
the way I did test with iptables stopped and selinux temporarily set
to permissive - and still cannot get packets through (eg using ping).

What I don't know at this stage is whether there is a bug in the
NM/pptp packages under f11 or if I am just being dumb! Any guidance on
the routes setup would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

--
mike