[YLUG] NetworkManager pptp vpn and routes?

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 20:52:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 3:48 PM, mike cloaked<mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been running Fedora F11 after installing a week or two back on
> a Samsung NC10 netbook that had previously been running F10 perfectly
> successfully.  Previously I had been able to make a vpn connection to
> the York University vpn in F10, working nicely with the main route out
> for traffic being my normal default route from home, but specifically
> for university based machines, such as my own desktop, to add a route
> into the university through the vpn tunnel. i.e. it was a form of
> split routing.  (I also have split dns but that is independent of the
> routes issue)

After some fiddling around I found the way to get the vpn to behave
exactly as I want it so I thought I should report it here so others
may benefit

1) The vpn can be set up by right clicking NetworkManager
(NetworkManager-pptp is installed as is pptp)
The VPN gateway is set as 144.32.196.175 with my normal username for
authentication
2) The Advanced tab must include MPPE and all the authentication
methods are checked.
3) Under IPv4 settings I used Automatic (VPN) addresses only and
included my home DNS server address (which has split DNS) and the
search domain as york.ac.uk
4) Within the IPv4 tab clicking the routes button opens a new window which I add
144.32.0.0 with netmask 255.255.0.0
172.16.0.0 with netmask 255.255.0.0
"Ignore automatically obtained routes" is checked and also "Use this
connection only for resources on its network" is also checked.

With these settings I have exactly the behaviour I now need as in my
original posting.

I also made sure that my firewall allows ppp0 and type 47 packets
through - and I am running with selinux enforcing.

My local named is modified to run split dns for local LAN addresses
from my home dns server and 144.33 addresses from the university dns.

So now all is well - I would be interested to know if anyone running
Ubuntu can reproduce a running vpn based on my experience detailed
above?

Anyway I am happy now that I have the netbook running golden again under F11...

Mike

--
mike