[YLUG] automount gnome

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 08:50:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Liam Wilson <liam.wilson at yahoo.com> wrote:
> A quick google search for:
>
> gnome disable automounter
>
> gave me the answer (1st result). Looks like the gnome developers
> (in their infinte wisdom) have moved the option to gconf.
>
> Liam

In fact in F10, for a "clean" install, partitions that are not defined
in fstab are not mounted in Gnome.  However if a user area is copied
back verbatim from an old Fedora setup to an F10 user area, then the
gnome "dot" files will likely have settings relevant to the older
system, and that will more than likely cause one or more problems in
F10.  I believe that the OP did a huge jump from FC7 to F10 using a
yum update, and likely did not clear out the gnome config files from
the user areas before he did so, but perhaps he could confirm this?
Also in F10 there are large changes in the KDE4 configs as well so
using old user areas is likely to lead to significant problems. Hence
my method for upgrade as in the next paragraph.

What I did for F10, particularly since I went from F8 to F10, was to
move all the user areas from /home/user to something like
/home/user.f8 and then did a clean install of F10. At the end of the
install I then allowed a new user area to be created with the same
name as my original main user.  Then once the system was running I
then copied the user directories (recursively where necessary) from
/home/user.f8/* to /home/user/ and being very careful not to copy back
the gnome or KDE4 config files since so much has changed in the new
version. Then for any other user on the same machine I made new areas
using useradd, and then copied back the user files from the f8
versions as above.  For the "dot" files in every case I only copied
back .ssh, .Skype, .gnupg2 and other relevant config files that I knew
would be unchanged in F10. I did not copy the .g....  or .kde....
files and allowed the system to create them for me, including when
switching from gnome to kde4 logins.

I strongly believe that unless this kind of careful install is done
for F10 then a lot of time will be spent diagnosing problems that are
the result of inappropriate old config files being used in F10 that
are relics of very old and now "end-of-life" versions of Fedora. With
a clean install the chances of such problems will be very small
indeed.

I hope this helps.

--
mike