[YLUG] Perk/Tk fedora 10 intel xmgrace

Patrick Dupre pd520 at york.ac.uk
Tue Mar 17 10:51:03 UTC 2009

Hi Mike,

Thank for the information

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Patrick Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On one machine (without an intel graphic card), all my applications
>> run OK, on a machine with an integrated intel graphic card (Q965)
>> I have problem with Perl/Tk (I cannot interact with the entry widgets:
>> the characters form the keybaord are just ignored), and with xmgrace
>>

> Currently in Fedora, as well as in most mainstream distributions,
> Intel Integrated Graphics of many flavours have serious problems with
> X. xorg (and Intel)  developers are not spending too much effort at
> present on fixing this issues since there is current effort to get KMS
> (kernel mode setting) working, which will move the setting up of
> graphics away from needing xorg.conf to define the parameters.
>
> Currently there is a test programme to fix bugs in the kms settings in
> Fedora 11 - this is ongoing and will not likely to be working properly
> until F11 or later.
>
> The best that people can do with recent linux versions concerning
> intel integrated graphics machines is to switch to vesa either by
> adding a flag xdriver=vesa to the kernel boot line, or to edit
> xorg.conf if you have one to define using the vesa driver instead of
> the intel (=i810) driver.
I tried versa, it does make xmgrace OK, but it does not fix the
Perl/Tk issue !
I tried i810, but X does start: No device detected, Fatal server error

  You may need to change other xorg parameters
> as well.
Which parameters ?

I have:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
 	Identifier     "single head configuration"
 	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# keyboard added by rhpxl
 	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
 	Driver      "kbd"
 	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
 	Option	    "XkbLayout" "fr"
 	Option	    "XkbVariant" "latin9"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
 	Identifier   "Monitor0"
 	ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x1024"
 	HorizSync    31.5 - 64.0
 	VertRefresh  56.0 - 65.0
 	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"

#	Driver      "i810"
 	Identifier  "Videocard0"
 	Driver      "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
 	Identifier "Screen0"
 	Device     "Videocard0"
 	Monitor    "Monitor0"
 	DefaultDepth     24
 	SubSection "Display"
 		Viewport   0 0
 		Depth     24
 	EndSubSection
EndSection

  There has been extensive discussion about the whole issue of

--
---
  Patrick DUPRÉ                      |   |
  York YO10 5DD  United Kingdom      |   |    email: pd520 at york.ac.uk