[YLUG] Perk/Tk fedora 10 intel xmgrace

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 07:55:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Patrick Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On one machine (without an intel graphic card), all my applications
> run OK, on a machine with an integrated intel graphic card (Q965)
> I have problem with Perl/Tk (I cannot interact with the entry widgets:
> the characters form the keybaord are just ignored), and with xmgrace

Currently in Fedora, as well as in most mainstream distributions,
Intel Integrated Graphics of many flavours have serious problems with
X. xorg (and Intel)  developers are not spending too much effort at
present on fixing this issues since there is current effort to get KMS
(kernel mode setting) working, which will move the setting up of
graphics away from needing xorg.conf to define the parameters.

Currently there is a test programme to fix bugs in the kms settings in
Fedora 11 - this is ongoing and will not likely to be working properly
until F11 or later.

The best that people can do with recent linux versions concerning
intel integrated graphics machines is to switch to vesa either by
adding a flag xdriver=vesa to the kernel boot line, or to edit
xorg.conf if you have one to define using the vesa driver instead of
the intel (=i810) driver. You may need to change other xorg parameters
as well. There has been extensive discussion about the whole issue of
Intel Graphics under F10 in the Fedora List and I would strongly
suggest that you look at the prior postings on this matter.  People
tend to get a bit fed up if questions are repeatedly asked about the
same issue when there is already a complete and large set of threads
in the newsgroup.  I suggest that you search Fedora list for Intel
Integrated Graphics to follow what has been said and suggested.
Different people using different chipsets have needed to try different
fixes to get things working.

I also have this problem and one way is to install a new graphics card
and abandon the integrated graphics on the machine.

Good luck.

--
mike