[YLUG] Ubuntu 9.04

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Fri May 22 19:03:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Anthony Edwards <anthony at yoyo.org> wrote:
> Has anyone else tried this?  My experience this week is that it is
> astoundingly, astonishingly good.  I installed it on a Dell Inspiron
> 6400 laptop bought new in 2007 and not only was the installation quick,
> easy and absolutely faultless, pretty much everything "just worked"
> and, in particular, Gnome Network Manager is now (from my perspective
> at least) perfect.
>
> I normally stick to the Ubuntu LTS releases but can thoroughly
> recommend 9.04 on laptops (I'm still running 8.04.2 on my main
> work/home desktop machine).

That sounds very promising.  Indeed there has been a lot of work in
the past year on NetworkManager and I use it all the time in Fedora 10
where it also now "just works" out of the box on several laptops with
different hardware.  It also allows very easy VPN connection from the
NM icon in Gnome.

With Fedora F11 around the corner (next week) NM is now also able to
set connections as system wide by ticking a checkbox - it would be
interesting to know if the Jaunty NM matches that in F11 in terms of
capability and also stability and whether they are based on the same
upstream versions?

--
mike