[YLUG] Ubuntu 9.04

ylug.emorrp1 at mamber.net ylug.emorrp1 at mamber.net
Sun May 24 19:30:17 UTC 2009

Yup, it's pretty good alright (unless you have intel graphics).  My machine now boots to login in 19seconds (with ext4 of course), less than half what it was before.  I do however have to recommend Linux Mint, since it's now my favourite distro (and I contributed to mintUpload 3 :-)  Linux Mint 7 Gloria is due out in the next few days (the isos are ready now), based on Jaunty, it has all the best of Ubuntu's boot time optimisations without any of the hassle of adding reams of codecs post-install.  Put on top of that some beautiful artwork and excellent little tools that definitely "do one thing and do it well".  If that wasn't reason enough, they are extremely quick at feature implementation, have a great community, and it's extremely easy to start contributing to the project (I thought of a feature on a Wednesday, implemented it on the Thursday, asked for upload permissions on Friday, and my new package was in the repos on Saturday!)

Philip Morrell