[YLUG] Ubuntu 9.04

Anthony Edwards anthony at yoyo.org
Fri May 29 14:32:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 02:03:14PM +0100, Paul Elliott wrote:

> It should be possible to connect to a Juniper WebVPN from Ubuntu 9.04
> with only a single change, setting a 'root' password as the
> installation doesn't utilise sudo as required on Ubuntu by default.

Indeed, during the Network Connect installation process an xterm is
launched into which the root password must be entered to gain a root
shell in order to proceed further.

> It might be worth trying again with 9.04 without making any
> alterations other than the root password to see if you can then
> connect.

That was one of the first things that I tried during the second
attempt (I carried out two new, clean installations of 9.04 in total)
to get it working.  Network Connect client installation failed with
an error message similar to (I forget the exact wording) "Java is
not installed on this machine, or is not configured correctly".

> I've tested successfully here in the Computing Service with a fresh
> 9.04 machine (x86) connecting to the University webvpn (with Ubuntu
> supplied Sun Java). I'll be performing further tests with 8.04 and
> 8.10 across 32bit/64bit and then documenting the whole lot for the VPN
> help pages on YorkWeb.

Interesting.  It is worth bearing in mind perhaps that there are
different versions of the Juniper SSL VPN server software (ours is
a fairly old version I believe and indeed the entire platform is
shortly to be replaced with a Cisco based SSL VPN solution - which
may resolve things, or introduce new issues of its own!).

--
Anthony Edwards
anthony at yoyo.org