[YLUG] Upgrading best-practice

Steve Almond steve at silkandslug.com
Mon Jun 7 21:28:09 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm almost embarrassed to mention it, as it sounds horribly un-techie,
but my current Linux-based problem is regards upgrading. More
specifically, I want to upgrade a headless server from Ubuntu 10.4 on
two partitions (/ and /home) to Debian (or Ubuntu 10.10 or whatever) on
at least two partitions. I've looked at it a couple of times, but my
research only gets so far before it bogs down in partitioning scheme
dogma, upgrading verses installing, worries about upgrading config files
while keeping settings, etc.
     I'd appreciate a pointer towards a reasonably-definitive
guide/source of info, if such a thing exists. If anyone else has a
similar question, then maybe it might also be an topic for a technical
session - not that I can attend on Mondays in term-time, but it's not
just about me!

--
Yours,

     Steve Almond

    Web-Development

Steve at SilkAndSlug.com
Tel.    01904 466 833
Mob.     07947 017652
Skype     SilkAndSlug

  ~ Silk And Slug ~
  "Always Improving"

***

Silk&  Slug may monitor email traffic data and also
the content of email for the purposes of security,
system development, and staff training

***

Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day
living that wears you out
   -- Chekhov