[YLUG] Voting for BT to put fibre broadband in York

Peter Hawkins peter.hawkins at poppleton.org
Sun Oct 10 17:09:54 UTC 2010

The City Council Scheme is being managed by FibreCity which is part of H2O
Networks Limited who have a 'revolutionary' way of putting fibre optic
cables into sewers. (I don't think it involves tying the fibres to the tails
of rats !!). The actual installation was sub-contracted to Fujitsu who then
sub-contracted to trench diggers.

As John said, the financing of the project is being justified by the Council
on the basis of (a) the money it will save in renting individual data
circuits into schools, libraries and other council premises and (b) the
increased efficiency from having truly high speed data transfer between
these premises and to the wider internet.

There has been talk of local businesses having the opportunity to link into
it but I think this may be somewhere in the future. I'm not sure about
residential properties but it does go right past my house on its way to
Poppleton Ousebank School and there is a footway box within a foot of my
boundary so I can hope can't I.

FibreCity had indicated that they wanted to do a presentation to the Clifton
Moor Business Association earlier this year but then they changed their mind
about that.

Your exchange is MYMSG Mike -
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/MYMSG

Peter Hawkins