[YLUG] Voting for BT to put fibre broadband in York

john halewood john.halewood at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 16:22:20 UTC 2010

On 10 October 2010 17:05, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well I did not know that - so I learned something today - I am
> connected to Melrosegate so I guess the vote in York will be split
> across several exchanges. I also don't know how the council-supported
> big rollout of the fibre infrastructure that has been going on for the
> past year or so links to this if at all?  All over the place there
> have been trenches dug with purple plastic ducts which I was told by
> one of the guys working on that as I was walking in one day is part of
> the fibre infrastructure being installed across York.
>
> Anyone know any more about this?

The council fibre rollout is to link up all the various council sites
(about 100), including libraries and schools as well as offices.
Although the link is council only, it means that the infrastructure is
already in place so any third party will have to do much less leg work
(and incur much lower costs) and otherwise. Once you've got fibre on
the long haul filling in the last mile becomes a lot cheaper. It also
means that there's now fibre links to the surrounding villages in the
York area.

cheers
john