[YLUG] Oneiric Ocelot Edubuntu install.

David Morris davidrowlandmorris at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 20:01:05 UTC 2011

I'm going to assume that the only thing you've done with the netbook is
modifying the BIOS settings i.e. you haven't successfully booted into any
kind of installer or partitioning tool.

First thing to do is to unbrick it. I've yet to encounter a BIOS that
doesn't have sensible defaults, so the thing to do here is to go into the
BIOS and reset it to factory/default settings. This is normally easy. Save
BIOS settings and reboot. Hopefully at this point windows will boot
happily, or at least with minimal complaining. If it doesn't, post details
of the error screen and we'll see what we can do.

Next step is to get it to boot from USB. If, as Tom says, the boot order is
ignored, there's no point modifying it, so you should be able to leave the
BIOS with default settings. All the documentation says that to get a boot
device menu from an eeePC, you need to hit Escape during the BIOS. The
thing to remember here is that the BIOS tends to be slow and unresponsive.
It's not a question of tapping the key with perfect timing; just hammer it
from the moment the computer starts to come on until something interesting
happens.

So, put the USB drive into the computer, reboot it, and keep hitting escape
until you get a little menu of boot options. At this point, you ought to be
able to select 'USB Drive' or something like that, and you should get to
the installer you expected.

If you don't get an option for 'USB Drive' (or whatever), check in the BIOS
that all possible boot device options are enabled, and enable them if they
aren't. If that doesn't help, make sure that you actually have a bootable
USB drive - try re-making it, and if that doesn't work, post details of how
you're trying to make it bootable, and we'll give you a hand.

If you still have no luck (or if the above makes no sense), then if you can
bring the netbook into the centre of York at some point tomorrow, I'd be
happy to take a look at it.

HTH,

David