[YLUG] Laptops and the repeating keyboard bug

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 08:16:33 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 4:20 PM, James McLaughlin
<jmclaugh at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Hardy Heron on an old-ish Compaq laptop, and would welcome
> some advice.
>
> Basically, every later version of Ubuntu (from Intrepid to Maverick) I've
> installed on it has been affected by a bug whereby every so often, when I
> release a key, the computer doesn't realise that this has happened and
> endless keypress events occur - like thissssssssssssssss.
>
> (Same symptoms as kernel bug 9147, but a different cause as it occurs even
> with ACPI switched off.)
>
> If the problem persists on Ubuntu Natty, I'll have to replace my laptop, and
> wondered if any of my fellow York-based Linux users could provide me with
> some advice? If anyone is using Lucid or Maverick on a laptop that's not
> affected by this, please could they tell me the manufacturer/model number of
> the laptop?
>
> Similarly, any advice on choosing a replacement would be helpful.

Occasionally this is due to a physically sticky key! I don't know if
there are proprietary keyboard cleaners that might help - eg spray
cleaner of some kind - but I did have this issue occasionally on a
Dell laptop with one particular key (k) .....

Worth checking...

--
mike c