[YLUG] Arch

Philip Morrell lists at emorrp1.name
Mon Jan 23 17:31:32 UTC 2012

Hi Mike,

I too have become tired of reinstalling for no good reason and of
finding PPAs to keep software up-to-date. I have long planned to
upgrade to a rolling-release distro when I get the chance. However,
I'd like to stick within the Debian ecosystem as I'm a fan of APT and
there's a great spread of choices for how cutting-edge you'd like to
be.

I settled on Linux Mint[1] Debian Edition (LMDE) for my upgrade with
it's slightly-more-stable-than-testing aim (see also the CUT project),
but access to all the core debian repos (stable through to
experimental). The only downside is that the Linux Mint project seems
to be making some ambitious plans, which might cause them to be spread
more thinly than in the past. I think I've been spoilt by Mint's
prettiness, QA and sensible defaults.

I'm looking forward to the fun :p
--
Philip Morrell

[1] Disclaimer: I've contributed to Mint in the past, and currently
use Isadora+ppas.