[YLUG] Arch

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 19:37:56 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Philip Morrell <lists at emorrp1.name> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I too have become tired of reinstalling for no good reason and of
> finding PPAs to keep software up-to-date. I have long planned to
> upgrade to a rolling-release distro when I get the chance. However,
> I'd like to stick within the Debian ecosystem as I'm a fan of APT and
> there's a great spread of choices for how cutting-edge you'd like to
> be.
>
> I settled on Linux Mint[1] Debian Edition (LMDE) for my upgrade with

Thanks and for Paul's comments too - I wonder how people find the
Tumbleweed distro and similar?  I guess all distros will at some point
have updates that cause issues at times - and indeed even for arch I
had an update that messed up my wireless connection at next boot the
other day - the fix was simple but I did have to do some reading of
the forums to know what the fix was!

By the way on the subject of keeping at the cutting edge (and not
wanting a flame war again!) I wonder what desktops people are using?
I tried Gnome3 and hated it - at the time KDE was going through
growing pains even at version 4.3 or later and I still don't like it
at 4.7.4!  So now I use xfce and am actually delighted with it -
lightweight fast and does everything I need. I didn't get on with
lxde....

Again might be interesting to know what others are happy with.

--
mike c