[YLUG] can't free up enough space to upgrade Ubuntu

Daeghnao zoe at daeghnao.com
Sun Nov 4 23:08:52 UTC 2012

Your storage is split across two partitions, sda2 and sda4. Ubuntu wants space on sda2. Your documents and such will be on sda4, so messing with them will be irrelevant.

To figure out if there's anything you can quickly remove to free up space, it would be necessary to find out what space is used by what on sda2. I would start with /tmp, then /var/tmp, then possibly the rest of /var, then look for other large files that are not in /home. You may find that there is some graphical space allocation viewer available, perhaps Baobab, KDirStat or gdmap will help (I used to use gdmap quite a bit, it was pretty helpful for me).

Gould luck, let us know what you find!

--
 -- zoe